Wednesday 12 July 2017

In which I travel some more

After a couple of days of travelling I always feel like the airport is my new home. For some reason this trip felt longer than normal, even though I spent the night at a hotel instead of on a plane or at the airport. I feel pretty jetlagged right now though. I’m constantly hungry but even thinking about food makes me feel sick (probably because it’s the middle of the night now back home). I’m not really tired. The night in the hotel really helped, my room was huge and the bed was gigantic and so comfy. The hotel also had an indoor pool and hottub where I soaked until I was all wrinkly. I met a nice lady from Florida and chatted with her for a bit. After that I had a salad (all my stomach could manage) and went to bed early.


The next morning I had to leave early for my flight to Denver and on to Cody. Thankfully I had no problems at border control and they let me through without a lot of questions. Hannah, the other wrangler, picked me up from the airport and we went to get some groceries. I also went to Boot Barn to buy a new pair of boots (decided to treat myself, don’t judge!). The pair I wanted wasn’t in stock though and it took them ages to order it: ‘how do you pronounce your last name?’ ‘How do you spell this address?’ Apparantly Dutch credit cards are very different from American ones? After an hour (!) we finally managed. Now let’s hope the boots fit ;)


I’m back at the ranch though! It’s nice to be here again. Everything looks exactly the same and thankfully all the horses are doing good. There are also a couple of really cute new foals! And of course the dogs, cats, calves and chickens. On Sunday we picked up 14 girls for the July session. It’s a really big group but they’re all really nice and eager to learn and get involved in ranch work. It’s interesting to be kind of ‘on the other side’ this year in the sense that I’m not an intern right now but a wrangler and everyone comes to me with questions. I really like getting to know everyone though and I love teaching them and helping them with their horses. It is so cool to see how quickly they improve. After two days of riding you can already see such a big difference, not just in their riding but they also get more confidence.


The horse I’ll be riding for now is Tucker, he is MeaCile’s top horse so I feel honoured to be riding him. So far we’re getting along really well. He is a really nice and sensitive horse. We’ve been taking it easy though, to get everyone used to their horses. We did some arena work and two short trailrides. This morning I took one of the interns to wrangle the horses in. Wrangling means we ride out with a couple of people to find the horses that are roaming around the (huge) property and herd them back to the ranch. It was such a nice feeling to be riding over the hills again, it is so beautiful out here!  





No comments:

Post a Comment