Saturday 31 March 2018

What I learned from travelling

Exactly one year ago, I arrived in South Africa on what was supposed to be a three month break before real working life started. Except I'm still travelling, a year later, and still have more trips planned. So I thought it was time for a 'what travelling taught me' post, very cheesy but also very true ;)

1. Be flexible
Don´t plan everything because the plan will change anyway, and you'll miss out on a lot of great stuff. This one was definitely the hardest for me. If you´ve known me for a while, you know I used to plan everything up to the smallest detail. On every trip, I had a very detailed schedule. And not just a list of things I wanted to see, no a daily schedule with set times. I know I drove some people crazy with this but there is something to be said for being organised. You get to see everything you want, you're prepared for anything and you don't miss the last train home. But you also might miss that outdoor concert in that little park in Santa Fé. Or that amazing view from the top of a mountain in Iceland. Working at the ranch where plans change depending on the weather, or in South Africa where 'now' means it might happen next week (or tomorrow, or not at all), forced me to be flexible and go with the flow. And I quite like it. The best things happen unexpectedly.

2. Stay positive
Travelling has taught me to always see the good in everything. Of course it's amazing to be travelling this much and I realize how lucky I am that I get to do this, instead of sitting at a desk all day. But as with anything else, it's not always just easy and fun. At times, it's hard work, there are moments where I really miss my friends and sometimes I wonder what I am doing here and why I am not putting my degree to better use. But than I ride a horse with the wind in my hair and a gorgeous view in front of me and I just feel so happy. The past year had many highs and a few lows. But a good friend reminded me that even when things don't go your way, there is always something good that came from it. My friendship with her was one of those things! Looking back on it, it opened up other opportunities and most of all, it taught me a lot about what I can do, how to stand my ground and what is really important.

3. My own strengths 
You often hear people say they 'found themselves' while travelling. While I wouldn´t go that far, I have learned a lot about myself through travelling. When you go to a new place, where you don't know anyone and plans often go off the rails, you really learn what you're made of. I have learned that I can be quite flexible and creative. I have learned I'm a lot stronger than I thought. I have learned to stand up for myself and be proud of what I can do instead of always doubting my skills. But I also care too much and sometimes trust too easily. I am stubborn and can be bossy and I like making my own plans instead of following others' rules. But I can also adapt quite easily. I´ve become a lot more open and confident. I know what makes me happy and how to prioritize that.

4. The importance of friendship
The highlight of every trip were the people I met on the way. With some, I only got to spend a few days, others a few months. But every single one of them played an important part in making all my trips so amazing and a lot of them I consider close friends. I love meeting new people, hearing their stories, getting to know them and have adventures together. It's crazy how close you can get to someone over just a short period of time. But it's not just new friends, I also appreciate my 'old' friends more. Being away from my close friends is hard but thankfully I speak to most of them regularly. They know me better than I know myself sometimes and they always manage to cheer me up. I've met some wonderful people who really understand me and even though they are sometimes far away, I know I can always call them. I feel very blessed to have friendships in which distance doesn´t matter.

5. Inspire and be inspired
A friend recently told me that she felt so inspired and motivated by what I am doing and I realised that was the best compliment she could give me. What I love most about working at the ranch is that I get to share my passion with others and teach them, help them to get better and reach their goals. I always encourage people to do what they love, even if it's hard or takes a while. So realizing that by just doing what I'm doing, working and travelling, I can encourage and inspire others to do what they want made me really happy. And it works the other way around as well, hearing about other people's plans and adventures inspires me too. Every single person you meet, changes your outlook and perspective on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment